Welcome and About Us
Key Information
Latest News
Students
Parents
Gallery and Videos
Prospectus
 Twitter

Welcome to the English Department

  

English Department Vision


The English Department promotes academic excellence and provides students with the skills for success in all subjects. We aim to build our students’ motivation, resilience and aspiration to do well and achieve. We believe that everyone can be successful once they have discovered their potential. There is no greater gift than uncovering imagination and, through the texts we study, we provide them with the freedom to explore the world: past, present and future.

Meet the English Team


English Curriculum

KS4 Curriculum

Years 9, 10 and 11 are working towards completion of two GCSEs: English Language and English Literature.


English Language

The English Language GCSE requires successful completion of two exam papers that are both worth half of their final mark.

Paper 1 – 50%

1 hour 45 minutes

Exploration in Creative Reading and Writing


Section A

Reading

One Literature Fiction Text


Section B

Writing

Descriptive or Narrative Writing



Paper 2 – 50%

1 hour 45 minutes

Writers’ Viewpoints and Perspectives

Section A

Reading

One non-fiction text

One literary non-fiction text

Section B

Writing

Writing to present a view


Students will also cover a Spoken Language unit as part of their final qualification.


English Literature

English Literature is examined by two exam papers – one worth 60% and the other worth 40% of the final mark.

Students will spend time getting to know the texts they are studying so that they are able to confidently explore meaning and effect.

Paper 1 – 40%

1 hour 45 minutes

Shakespeare and the 19th Century Novel


Section A

Shakespeare

Year 11 – Romeo and Juliet

Year 10 – Romeo and Juliet

Year 9 – Romeo and Juliet

Section B

19th Century Novel

Year 11 – A Christmas Carol

Year 10 – A Christmas Carol

Year 9 – A Christmas Carol

Paper 2 – 60%

2 hours 15 minutes

Modern Texts and Poetry

Section A

Modern Text

Year 11 - An Inspector Calls

Year 10 – An Inspector Calls

Year 9 – An Inspector Calls

Section B

Poetry

All years – Conflict and Power cluster



KS3 Curriculum

Year 7 and 8 are following a scheme of work which works on the skills needed to successfully complete the KS4 course. This mastery of skills means that students will be able to embed the skills needed for success at GCSE.

They will cover:

  • Shakespeare

  • Poetry

  • Novel study

  • Drama (plays)

  • Spoken Language

As well as these topics, they will also complete lessons with a specific focus on skills for writing: spelling, punctuation and grammar skills.

How do we assess students in English?


We have a thorough and rigorous assessment schedule where all students in all Key Stages are given the opportunity to showcase their ability in the topic. Following this, they receive individual feedback and areas for improvement for them to act on and improve.

Every three weeks, student work is assessed based on a given Assessment Objective that relates to the GCSE examination.

There are four Learning Cycles over the year which relies on class work, assessment outcome and improvement bases on feedback.

Examination Information

Information will follow in due course.

Homework Expectations

Homework is set once per week and is available on Show My Homework.

Recommended Revision Guides

                Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar for GCSE, Workbook

Head of English

Miss. C. Harris

01482 879967 Ext: 231


English Twitter