Welcome and About Us
Key Information
Latest News
Students
Parents
Gallery and Videos
Prospectus
 Twitter

Welcome to the Photography Department

   

Photography Department Vision

Our studio aspires to give an unbiased understanding of both traditional and contemporary theories and practical processes of art and photography.  Learning to understand, appreciate, respect, and ultimately be inspired in developing personal skills and nurturing creative originality.

We focus on achieving the highest potential in a wide range of media whilst encouraging and developing enhanced self-expression.  By realising these qualities and the above and beyond groundwork covered, students become better equipped in taking their next step to a creative future by continuing on to higher education or apprenticeships, and, the many opportunities that lay in the field of art, design and/or photography.

Meet the Photography Team

Photography Curriculum

Year 7

Introduced to basic photography. Students will have the opportunity to work in an artistic way using digital cameras and learning new skills and programs on the computer such as Adobe Photoshop.


Year 8

Introduced to the way a GCSE project is presented. They will build on the skills they learnt during the Photography rotation in Year 7 and create a body of work based on ‘Sweets’. 


KS4 GCSE Photography

GCSE Photography begins in Year 9 to allow the students to have three years to develop their work and responses to different projects.

Project 1 Textures

Students will be introduced to photographers who have used textures as their subject matter. They will build a vocabulary that will enable them to describe and discuss photographers’ work.  Some students will be able to compare the different techniques and styles used by photographers and relate their own work to specific artists. Students will experience and develop their knowledge of using photographic equipment. They will be introduced to using photo-editing software and developed the habit of thoroughly recording and developing observations and imagined ideas in order to improve on each shoot. They will have some understanding of how light and shade can define and change how we see shapes, forms and spaces along with developing the habit of reflecting on their own and others’ work to help them to adapt and develop their own work. Students will be introduced to studio photography.

Project 2 Food

Students will explore the photography of food photographers. They will experience setting up their own food photographs, aimed at producing attractive photographs of food that would be seen in advertisements, magazines, menus or cookbooks.

Project 3 Reflections and Repetition

Students are going to have an introduction to how Photographers have recorded repetition and reflections in their art form. Students to research repetitive images by the photographers Maurizio Galimberti and reflections by Karen Grainger.


Year 10 

Students will be focusing on a major project based on the theme ‘Portraits’. Students will be introduced to photographers who have used portraits as their subject matter; this will include some challenging work which pushes the boundaries of traditional portraiture.  They will build a vocabulary that will enable them to describe and discuss photographers’ work. Every student will be expected to produce several shoots based around portraits.  From these shoots they will be expected to develop their ideas and produce a final shoot and select a final piece.


Year 11 

Students will be producing their final responses to the project ‘Portraits’. They will work to a Christmas deadline and in January they will prepare for their GCSE Art exam component 2 worth 40% of their overall grade. 

How do we assess students in Photography?

Examination Information

Course Assessment

60% of your final mark is course work and the remaining 40% is assessed in a final ten-hour exam. The awarding body is AQA.


AO1 (Develop) -

Find relevant photographers to look at and use this work to inspire photo shoots. Make personal comments about the work. Visit museums, galleries, cities, parks, locations etc to inspire your work.


AO2 (Experiment) -

Use different techniques and processes. Evaluate how successful your experiments have been.


AO3 (Record)

Collect and present only relevant imagery. Produce high quality photographic/moving image based work Take a wide range of your own photos. Annotate your work.


AO4 (Present)

Produce confident and high quality final piece/s. Ensure your work links to your prep work.


Homework Expectations

Homework is expected to be completed every two weeks. 

Recommended Revision Guides


Head of Art & Photography

Ms. S. Howard

01482 879967

Useful Links

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/art/
http://www,pinterest.com/
http://www,nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/wpy/gallery/2014/index.html
http://photofocus.com/
http://expertphotography.com/